Personal protective equipment (PPE) and absorbent mats protect your employees from workplace injuries. It is crucial to properly care for your equipment, so it maintains its waterproof, cut-proof, fire-resistant, or absorbent properties. Extend your absorbents’ and PPE’s lifespan by following best practices and partnering with Closed Loop Recycling.
Maintaining PPE Workwear
PPE is an expensive investment for your workplace. If you buy high-quality, durable gear, the upfront costs can be steep, but with proper maintenance, you can ensure your items will last well past their expected lifespan. There are some best practices you can follow to keep your PPE in good condition for are long as possible:
- Select durable options: When purchasing new PPE, pick reputable brands known for durable products. Spending a little extra on high-quality products can save you money in the future because you won’t have to repurchase equipment as often.
- Store items correctly: Store PPE in a clean, dry area away from chemicals and direct sunlight to avoid fabric degradation. PPE maintains its protective qualities longer when stored properly.
- Inspect equipment frequently: Encourage your workers to frequently inspect their protective gear for damage and to report any issues. Repairing minor imperfections is much cheaper than buying new equipment. For instance, you can repair a hole in a welding jacket with FR heat press patch material for low cost, instead of purchasing an entirely new jacket.
- Follow laundering instructions: Many PPE providers offer equipment laundering instructions that guide you through the cleaning process. You can maintain the integrity and quality of PPE by following recommended laundering procedures. Laundering also offers drastic cost savings, which may allow for higher cut-rated, more expensive gloves that last longer.
Closed Loop Recycling helps businesses use their equipment for as long as possible by providing PPE recycling services. During our laundering process, we remove metal from PPE items and extract liquids they’ve absorbed. We follow manufacturer laundering instructions to ensure your equipment maintains its cut-resistant, fireproof, and waterproof abilities and stays in top condition for as long as possible.
By following best practices for storage and partnering with CLR for PPE laundering, you can save money on equipment costs and keep old PPE out of landfills.
To learn more about our PPE laundering and absorbent material recycling program and how it reduces your environmental impact, give us a call.
Maintaining Reusable Absorbent Mats
Absorbent floor mats are crucial in maintaining workplace safety. When spills happen, absorbent mats soak up liquids and reduce the likelihood of a slip-and-fall accident. CLR offers reusable industrial absorbent mats and spill kits that are durable, environmentally friendly, and cost effective. You can increase the shelf life of our recyclable industrial mats with proper care.
To keep our reusable absorbent mats in working condition for as long as possible, follow these best practices:
- Use the right mat for your spill: We offer various absorbent mat options that work best for specific applications. Our industrial oil absorbent mats work best to absorb oil spills and separate oil from water, whereas our quilted mats absorb any thin fluid. Poly mats are ideal for long-term use in high-traffic walkway and machinery areas, and absorbent socks block heavy spills from spreading.
- Store mats in cool, dry areas: Absorbent mats and socks work best when stored away from moisture, chemicals, and sunlight. When stored properly, mats maintain their absorbent qualities and avoid degradation from UV light and toxic vapors.
- Inspect absorbents for damage: If you store absorbents for long periods before use, it is essential to inspect them regularly for discoloration, cracks, and wear. Undamaged absorbents work much better to soak up liquids and block spills from spreading.
At CLR, we collect and launder your reusable absorbents after use to keep them in working order for as long as possible. Proper storage and inspections also go a long way in extending the lifespan of absorbent mats and keeping them out of landfills.
Reduce Your Costs and Carbon Footprint
By following storage, handling, and laundering instructions for your workplace safety equipment, you can save money on equipment costs and reduce the amount of waste you produce. Additionally, you can keep your employees safe by maintaining the protective qualities of safety vests, gloves, sleeves, aprons, and jackets.
Our team at CLR will handle your PPE laundering needs, so you can focus on your business. Our revolutionary waste-free laundering process extends the life of your PPE equipment without sacrificing safety. We can even launder Kevlar gloves without affecting their cut-resistant capabilities.
We also offer water, coolant, and oil absorbent pads to keep high-traffic areas safe and dry. With the right maintenance routine, you can keep absorbent products in working order for far longer than their expected lifespan. At CLR, we help businesses reduce their carbon footprint and reduce material costs through absorbent mat recycling.